Welcome to the Racing Development Team|News

Here is where we will be posting all the news on our SRD Junior Development Ski Race Team as well as other news and updates regarding our catalog, web ( www.srd1.com ) and business. Feel free to post a comment and any suggestions.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

SRD Racer Alex Leever Vail Daily Profile


VAIL — Ski and Snowboard Club Vail's Alex Leever's favorite movie is “Talladega Nights” With apologies to Ricky Bobby's dad, “If you're not first, you're last,” does not apply to Leever. He finished sixth in Tuesday's Junior Olympic giant slalom and is hoping to do even better during today's slalom at Beaver Creek. Leever is just six weeks removed from a tibia-plateau fracture, which he will explain to us shortly, and is still competing in this week's JOs.

For more on Leever, read on:

What is a tibia-plateau fracture: “It's the bone on the outer part of your knee. It's the top part of the bone that connects to your knee. I fractured that in a race. The tibia and the femur hit together. That was about six weeks ago in Steamboat.

Did it hurt: “It was strange. It didn't really hurt. I couldn't support myself. I fell in the race and slipped down. I couldn't stand. I had to support myself on my poles.”

Rehab: “Just rest. I did swimming three days a week and I rode the bike everyday to get fluids out and help recover.”

How strong is the leg: “It's not perfect. Skiing on it, it feels fine. There's no pain. It feels pretty strong.”

Good comeback: “My first day in gates was Wednesday and then Thursday was our first training day. It's cool. I wish I could have done a little better today. I could have definitely could have gotten on the medal stand, but I'm happy with what I got.”

What's fun about skiing: “I like going fast and I like skiing down through the gates.”

First memory of skiing: “I started skiing when I was 2. I started racing when I was 6. When I was 2, I was skiing on Chair 12 here. My parents were holding me and helping me ski. It was fun. I've always loved powder skiing and racing.”

How old were you when you first skied the Back Bowls: “I think I was 3 or 4. My dad took me to China Bowl when I was 3. I just followed behind him on a pole.”

Other sports: Soccer

Goals for skiing: “I really want to make it to Whistler Cup (In British Columbia). My only chance now is to win tomorrow in slalom. The good thing is that's my best event. Home hill advantage definitely helps.”

Favorite subject: History

Powder day, where do you go: “Definitely straight to the Back, maybe hike up and do Upper Snag by Chair 14. Other than that, go to Blue Sky.”

Favorite pizza slice: Pepperoni.

Favorite food: Chocolate ice cream

Favorite color: Blue

Favorite sports team: Denver Broncos — “I really hope we keep Brandon Marshall. If we don't, I don't know what's happening.”

Favorite movie: “Talladega Nights”

Favorite TV show: “Family Guy”

If you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be: Spruce

Bookmark        and Share

No comments: